What is Christmas really about?
The question has been asked in many ways for many years. We certainly understand that Christmas is about more than unwrapping presents, decorating trees, hanging lights or eating large meals. We hear the voices of children expressing that Christmas is something more. We sense there is something deeper to Christmas.
Christians believe that Christmas is about closeness. Christmas is a celebration of God coming close to humanity in the presence of Jesus. So we celebrate by coming close to friends, loved ones … and even those who we tend to hold at a distance much of the year. At Christmastime, many people offer their time to serve close to others, to connect in special ways with friends and family, and to provide others with a feeling of belonging.
|Join in the True Meaning of Christmas Tour, either at one of our tour stops or through our tour site.|
The United Methodist Church is hitting the road this after Thanksgiving to provide a sense of closeness. Our True Meaning of Christmas Tour is traveling over 4,000 miles, coming to 11 cities over the course of 23 days. At each stop, we’re offering the chance for people to come close together and unwrap the true meaning of Christmas.
We’re looking forward to sharing smiles and conversations with a lot of people. We hope to share a lot of cups of hot cocoa. And we plan on drawing people together by doing good for one another.
We’d love for you to be a part of it! As we come to a city near you, join us for some hot cocoa. We’ll also be accepting donations for local groups aiming to help others have a good Christmas.
The full tour schedule is below. Visit our tour site for city-by-city updates and to see for yourself what is going on. Help us #UnwrapChristmas!
Tour dates and locations
- Nov. 25: Fairview Heights, IL We'll be at St. Clair Square!
- Nov. 26: Columbus, OH At the pavilion at North Market
- Nov. 28: Camp Hill, PA At the Capital City Mall
- Nov. 29: Baltimore, MD On the promenade near the ice rink at Inner Harbor
- Dec. 2: Roswell, GA At Heart of Roswell Park
- Dec. 4: Columbus, MS At Leadership Plaza in downtown Columbus
- Dec. 6: Bossier City, LA At the Louisiana Boardwalk Outlets
- Dec. 10: Phoenix, AZ At Kierland Commons
- Dec. 12: Los Angeles, CA At Pershing Square Holiday Ice Rink
- Dec. 14: West Valley City, UT At Rancho Market, 2470 S Redwood Rd
- Dec. 17: Kansas City, MO At Frank A. Theis Park across from the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
In addition to tour stops where the truck will be on-hand, United Methodist congregations in additional locations across the U.S. will host hot cocoa fellowship events at their churches.